You can print a blank form for recording 1901 Census data from the Research Forms page of the FamilySearch website.
Learn more about the 1901 Census on the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
Frontenac County Census
This resource consists of seven bound volumes. Microfilm is also available.
1901 Census of Canada
- Use the census district name Frontenac or district number 61 to see Howe Island, City of Kingston, Pittsburgh, Storrington, Wolfe Island (including Simcoe, Horseshoe & Mud Islands), Garden Island, and Portsmouth village.
- Use the census district name Kingston or district number 77 to see City of Kingston.
- Use the census district name Addington or district number 43 to see the townships of Barrie, Bedford, North Canonto, South Canonto, Clarendon & Miller, Hinchinbrooke, Howe Island, Kennebec, Kingston Township, Loughborough, Olden, Oso, Pittsburgh, and Portland.
- Note that some places fall into more than one census district.
1901 Census of Canada
Access to the Ancestry Library Edition website is restricted to KFPL branches. A subscription is required outside of the KFPL network.
The fourth census of Canada covers seven provinces - British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontairo, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec; two territories - the Yukon Territory and the Northwest Territories; and one district - the District of Keewatin. In 1901 the Northwest Territories was comprised of these seven districts: Alberta, Assiniboia, Athabasca, Franklin, Mackenzie, Saskatchewan, and Ungava. The census provides many details about individuals and families including: name, gender, age, relationship to head of household, marital status, birthplace, religion, and occupation.
Canada Census, 1901
In 1901 Canada consisted of the provinces of British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and the North-West Territories (which included the districts of Alberta, Assiniboia, Athabasca, Franklin, MacKenzie, Saskatchewan, and Ungava). Census day was 31 March 1901 and the census forms were printed in English and French.
The microfilm reels are in the top right-hand drawer of the microfilm cabinet.
They cover the City of Kingston and all of Frontenac County
The reel numbers are:
They are exactly the same as the on-line version (see above).
However, there is no printed index to these reels.
Please use the Automated Genealogy version (above) to find the page and line number before using the microfilm reels.
Aboriginal ancestors were enumerated separately and appear on microfilm reels T-6554 and T-6555 under Indian Agencies.
1901 Census records for Ontario
- Choose Frontenac to see Garden Island, Howe Island, Kingston Township, Pittsburgh Township, Portsmouth Village, Storrington Township, and Wolfe Island.
- Choose Kingston (City/Cite) to see City of Kingston.
- Choose Addington to see the townships of Barrie, Bedford, Clarendon & Miller, Hinchinbrooke, Kennebec, Loughborough, Olden, Oso, Palmerston & Canonto, and Portland.